There are 3 St. Nicholas churches in Prague. Construction of the St. Nicholas Church at Malostranske Namesti began in 1703 and is the largest of Prague's churches founded by the Jesuits.
St. Nicholas is the masterpiece of Christoph and Kilian Ignaz Dientzenhofer, a father and son duo who constructed many buildings during the Baroque period. Unfortunately, neither lived to see it's completion. The building was finished by Kilian's son-in-law, Anselmo Lurago.
The interior of St. Nicholas is finely decorated with statues, paintings, and frescoes by leading artists of the day. Particularly impressive is the dome fresco from Franz Palko, showing The Celebration of the Holy Trinity, filling the 70m high dome.
The dome was completed in 1751, shortly before Kilian Ignaz died. Over the Baroque organ is a fresco of St. Cecilia, patron saint of music. The organs were played by Mozart in 1787. The belfry was the last part to be built, constructed by Anselmo Lurago in 1751-56. During the summer months, classical concerts are held inside St. Nicholas.